Anxious and nervous while performing - Medical Pedia

FORUM Forums Anxiety Disorders Anxious and nervous while performing

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar medicalguru 5 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    lakstore
    Participant

Hello,
    I am an upcoming musician and I realized my talent while in my garage playing an acoustic guitar. My friend heard me play and linked me up to his other friend who is a guitar player for a band in order to grow my skills. The problem is that just before I enter the stage with him and his bandmates, I get overcome with excess worry that I will fail him and his bandmates on stage. It gets even worse that I start to shake. He usually encourages me and I calm down but I am worried that its a common occurrence that is deterring my music career. Please help

medicalguru

Hello Iakstore,
    I am sorry to hear about your predicament affecting your musical career. What you are probably suffering from is Generalized Anxiety Disorder which is a type of Anxiety Disorders. This is due to constant worry and nervousness before performing. For treatment, you can focus on the positive outcomes and think of the performance just like learning ABCD; very easy. Do not put to yourself excess expectations and responsibilities. Go in there knowing you are going to do your best and after the performance know that it was your best no matter how it went. This will help you overcome future episodes. Please note that it is wise to avoid overuse of antidepressants no matter how helpful they may be. If symptoms persist, visit a psychiatrist or therapist.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.